Controlling an External Modem
WinWarbler can decode and generate CW, RTTY, and other digital modes via an External Modem connected to a serial port. WinWarbler interacts with a connected External Modem by sending it individual commands, e.g. Initialize or begin transmitting or switch to RTTY. The individual commands required for a particular model of External Modem are obtained from an External Modem Command File. WinWarbler includes External Modem Command Files for the KAM 98, MFJ 464, PK232, PK900, and PTC-IIe; you can [http://www.dxlabsuite.com/winwarbler/Help/RTTYModemCommandFiles.htm create an External Modem Control File] for other devices.
To control an External Modem, you will need
- an RS-232 cable connecting a serial port on your PC with the External Modem's serial port
- an audio cable connecting your transceiver's audio output to your External Modem's audio input
- an audio cable connecting your External Modem's audio output to your transceiver's audio input
a wire connecting your External Modem's PTT output to your transceiver's PTT input; PTT is an abbreviation for [:PTT:Push To Talk]
- to transmit RTTY in FSK, a wire connecting your External Modem's RTTY output to your transceiver's RTTY input
- to transmit CW, a wire connecting your External modem's CW output with your transceiver's CW input
All of the above connections should be described in detail in your External Modem's user guide.
On the Configuration window's External Modem tab
set the Model selector to model of External Modem you are using; this selector determines which External Modem Command File will be used to interact with your External Modem.
in the Serial port panel
set the port sub-panel to the serial port on your PC to which the External Modem is connected
set the baud rate sub-panel to match the baud rate to which your External Modem is configured, as described in its User Guide; note that some External Modems do not work reliably at baud rates above 2400.
set the word length sub-panel to 8
set the stop bits sub-panel to 1
set the parity sub-panel to none
[:Multimode_Setup:Setting up CW, Phone, PSK, and RTTY Operation]
[:Operation:Getting Started with CW, Phone, PSK, and RTTY Operation]
[:GettingStarted:Getting Started with DXLab]